“Extreme Makeover: High Tech Edition” Update
The news about the “Extreme Makeover” project has generated a lot of enthusiasm across the District. We’re excited, too!
To keep up the flow of information, we have answered several of the most frequently asked questions here.
So, what are we doing now?
- The Instructional Technology Team is in the process of conducting walk-throughs at all Phase I campuses in preparation for this project.
- Yesterday, we reviewed quotes for the “Exteme Makeover” project. We plan to have a recommendation completed by the middle of next week.
Will there be training on this equipment?
- We have been working on some recommendations for the training model.
- The proposal will take into account the goals of the district, our knowledge of what works in other districts, and recent research on interactive technologies in instructional settings.
- The good news is that all of the Instructional Technology Specialists are experienced INTERWRITE Mobi trainers and recently completed the training necessary to serve as ActivBoard trainers, too.
Should we start training today, tomorrow, or next week?
- Training for campus administrators will be scheduled before the end of the school year.
- We understand that many teachers are anxious to learn as much as possible about these exciting tools right away.
- One best practice cited in the literature is to provide teachers with formal training as quickly as possible after the equipment has been deployed. 🙂
- As we complete the walk-throughs and more closely define the rate at which equipment can be installed and distributed, we will be able to make better recommendations for the training schedule.
- We will recommend that scheduling of training sessions be processed centrally so that the schedule does not take too many teachers from the same campuses on the same day.
When do we get to start playing with the software?
- We are also working on some ideas that will make it possible for teachers to have access to these tools at their own campuses so that they will have informal opportunities to learn about the software.
Please continue to contact us with questions or suggestions. We look forward to working with you on this exciting project!