The migration from Novell eDirectory and GroupWise to Microsoft Active Directory and Exchange is underway, and it is going well.
One of the most frequent requests that we receive in the Department is for email addresses that bear a greater resemblance to peoples’ names.
Reasons vary. Often, we hear that having a standard email address makes it easier to share with parents, colleagues in other districts, and community members. You may be aware that the application of the MISD naming convention for GroupWise addresses to some names can result in the creation of professionally awkward combinations of letters and sounds.
Fortunately, that’s about to change.
As part of this migration, new addresses in the District will be added that conform to an improved naming convention:
Here are some thoughts to keep in mind:
- Your existing mail and calendar items will be moved to your new account.
- Mail sent to your old Mansfield ISD email address will forward to your new one for a minimum of six months.
- For those staff members who have business cards with existing email addresses, you have the option of using them during the transition period.
- This is a good time to begin a list of locations where your district email address will need to be updated. Once you have your new login information, you can begin to update your address in those locations.
- Again, we’re planning on a six month transition period so that you’ll have plenty of time to make those updates.
- We’re working on training arrangements for teachers and staff members. Because so many MISD staff members maintain two or more email accounts already . . . and because many staff members have used Microsoft Outlook in other settings . . . you may be surprised how easy the transition will be for you.
Here are some things that you may like about these changes:
1. You will have one sign-on for many of the programs used in the District. Eduphoria, Infinite Campus, and Moodle, for example, will be accessible using this common login.
2. You will be able to use that same username and password to log into the wireless system throughout the District using an MISD laptop.
3. Exchange works reliably with many smartphones . . . including all of the calendar functions.
4. When you click on an email link on many web pages, Outlook will open and begin an email for you.
5. Over time, District email service will be more reliable.
Please contact us with questions. We’re here to help!