I’m buying iPads for classroom use. Should I get the iPad2 or the new one?
Now that the big announcements are out about the new iPad and the new price breaks on the iPad2, you may be wondering which to purchase for student, teacher, or administrator use.
According to MSNBC (2012), improvements to the iPad include:
- Support for 4G.
- More memory.
- Higher resolution display and video camera.
So, how important are these new features?
- MISD doesn’t buy data plans for iPads, and 4G coverage is very limited in our area.
- The apps and media that we use haven’t approached the limitations of our iPads.
- The higher resolution camera and display are supposed to be really amazing on the new iPad. The camera and display on the iPad2 are also great for instructional use.
Some new iPad users have complained about their devices getting too warm (Crothers, 2012).
So, for now, we recommend the iPad2.
- Crothers, B. (2012, March 03). Led backlight a likely culprit in ipad heat issue, says expert [Web log message].
- Review: New iPad screen is eye-opening upgrade (news.yahoo.com)
- Fly Or Die: The New iPad (techcrunch.com)
- 25 Pics of Cute and Cuddly Cats Playing with iPads (pics) (gadgetreview.com)
- Some new iPad users can’t stand tablet’s heat (cbc.ca)
- Report: New iPad Burns Hotter than Predecessor (gadget.com)