Ten MISD Robotics Teams Gear up for Area Competitions!
An unprecedented number of MISD robotics teams will participate in area competitions during the month of December. These events, sponsored by First Lego League (FLL) provide opportunities for kids to apply problem-solving skills in real-world contexts.
Here’s a video of the team at Imogene Gideon Elementary running one of their programs at yesterday afternoon’s practice. Cool stuff!
We wish all of the teams good luck!
UTA – December 1st
- Louise Cabaniss
- MJ Sheppard
- Imogene Gideon
- Mary Orr
- Roberta Tipps
Harmony School of Innovation (FW) – December 8th
- Asa Low
- Kenneth Davis
- Willie Brown
- Anna May Daulton
OD Wyatt High School (FW) – December 8th
- Glenn Harmon
Quick facts about the district-wide robotics initiative:
- Aligned with Part One of MISD Strategic Plan: Innovative and Inspiring Teaching Methods
- Established in 2011-12 with a pilot program at Willie Brown Elementary
- $50,000 in grant funds (LEGO Smart Schools and MISD Education Foundation) were secured to launch this initiative; MISD Technology Development committed another $40,000 in required matching funds
- 264 WeDo kits and resource packs and 96 Mindstorms NXT kits and resource packs were purchased with the funds.
- All 22 elementary campuses are implementing WeDo robotics into Technology Applications classes
- 18 campuses (elementary through high school) have launched after-school robotics programs using Mindstorms NXT robots this year
Want to learn more about the robotics initiative? Read the blog posts published on MISD TechNotes!
- Willie Brown “Robo Eagles” Compete in TCEA Robotics Competition
- MISD Elementary Principals Explore Robotics
- MISD Schools Win Big Robotics Grants!
- K-4 Tech Apps Teachers Venture into Exciting World of Robotics!