BBCTA Fighting Pickles and Crusading Cucumbers Host Robotics Clinic for Teams in MISD and throughout the Area!
The Fighting Pickles and Crusading Cucumbers Robotics teams at Ben Barber Career Tech Academy hosted a robotics clinic for MISD and other area robotics teams on Saturday, November 17. Three separate seminars were offered on engineering/build, software/programming, and coach/advisor information.
Special thanks to BBCTA teachers Susan Sevier and Robert Goodson and BBCTA Robotics for making this valuable opportunity available! BBCTA students have also been attending practices at other MISD campuses in order to provide valuable support.
Quick facts about the district-wide robotics initiative:
- Aligned with Part One of MISD Strategic Plan: Innovative and Inspiring Teaching Methods
- Established with ultimate goal of establishing robotics at all MISD campuses
- Initiated with a pilot program at Willie Brown Elementary in 2011
- $50,000 in grant funds (LEGO Smart Schools and MISD Education Foundation) were secured to launch this initiative; MISD Technology Development committed another $40,000 in required matching funds
- 264 WeDo kits and resource packs and 96 Mindstorms NXT kits and resource packs were purchased with the funds.
- All 22 elementary campuses are implementing WeDo robotics into Technology Applications classes
- 18 campuses (elementary through high school) have launched after-school robotics programs using Mindstorms NXT robots this year